Thursday, April 16, 2015

Sausage, Kale, & Lentil Stew

I've been trying to find ways to incorporate kale into my diet more often. I'm not overly fond of the taste or texture, so I wanted to find a way to get the nutrients it provides. I found this recipe online, but modified it to reduce the carbohydrate and sodium content. Warning: This recipe makes a LOT of stew. You'll likely have leftovers depending on how many people you're serving. (In my house, it's typically just me, so this makes lunch/dinner for days.)


Ingredients
1 Tbsp olive oil
1 Tbsp minced garlic
1 lb sausage (medium heat)
1 cup chopped yellow onion
32 oz sodium free chicken stock
2.5 cups water
5 cups kale (washed & torn)
1/2 bag baby carrots
1 cup dried lentils
3/4 tsp sea salt
1/4 tsp black pepper

Instructions
  1. Heat oil in a large pot or Dutch oven over medium-high heat.
  2. Add sausage and cook thoroughly, breaking up with a spoon (8-10 minutes).
  3. Add onions and cook, tossing occasionally until soft (3-5 minutes).
  4. Add garlic and cook until fragrant (1 minute).
  5. Add broth, kale, carrots, lentils, salt, and pepper to pot.
  6. Bring to boil while stirring occasionally.
  7. Reduce heat and simmer partially covered. Stir occasionally until lentils and carrots are tender (30-35 minutes).
  8. Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment